Friday, 27 July 2012
Friday, 20 July 2012
Imagine… a Wacky Rally car that doesn't catch fire, drink petrol or spew oil…
The "Angry Birds Saab" is a 1999 Saab 9-3 SE, 1985cc light pressure turbo with 246,000 miles on the clock.
It did not need a single drop of oil or coolant throughout the Barmy to Barcelona, and not too much fuel either - achieving 44 mpg average from West Devon to Switzerland and an amazing 38 mpg over the St Bernard Pass.
I have owned this car from new and would happily be running it another 10 years, had my employer not so generously provided me with a lovely new Jag (yay!)
If interested, it's now on eBay UK, ends 29th July http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350581491187
Thursday, 19 July 2012
Sunday, 15 July 2012
Starting on eBay UK at 9 p.m. on Thursday 19th July until Sunday 29th July. Here are the listing details:
This amazing looking, fun and exceptionally reliable car is the ANGRY BIRDS SAAB as recently seen on TV ("Spotlight").
Having been professionally resprayed only a year ago, the Angry Birds Saab was custom decorated - with written permission from Rovio Mobile - to take part in the Wacky Rally "Barmy to Barcelona" this July in aid of Children's Hospice South West. Any surplus from this sale is also destined for Children's Hospice South West.
We have kept most of the paper templates we used to create the Angry Birds theme, so if you do damage any in the future you will have a head start on the repairs. The birds, grass and logo are all done in professional-grade automotive vinyl using widely available colours.
The car has completed over 2,200 miles on this trip alone, through England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. This included the challenging drive over the St Bernard Pass (of "Italian Job" fame) and other Alpine passes. Its normal habitat is the fast lane of the M5/M4 - but it seems equally happy with either.
Throughout the rally it did not need a single drop of oil or coolant - it ran smoothly and comfortably, getting amazing fuel consumption figures:
44 mpg average on the first two days from home down to Switzerland
38 mpg over the St Bernard Pass
46 mpg on the motorway run from Turin to Arles
In preparation for the trip i.e. only a month ago, it had a full service including a new oil filter, complete oil change, new pollen filter, engine flush and fuel treatment and new wiper blade.
It has full leather seats in a pale beige so is exceptionally comfortable for this kind of long-haul drive, as well as being safe, solid and such great fun to drive. It is a real "driver's car" and we are sorry to let it go. The only reason we are selling it now (instead of running it another 10 years as planned) is the arrival of a rather nice company car. We just don't have the space to keep it!
The interior is in pretty good condition for a car of its age and mileage. Driver's seat is the only one that is noticeably worn, with one crease just starting to split very slightly (see photo 11 of 12). One small patch of headlining cloth next to the driver's sun visor (smaller than a pound coin) is damaged (see photo 11 of 12). Bonnet badge has delaminated (haven't they all?). The "SE" designators on both front wings have been removed. There are two working sets of keys/remotes.
My partner and I have owned this car from new and since coming out of dealer warranty the car has been serviced by renowned Saab specialist Chris Hamley of Devon. Full service history will be provided.
Please read the following terms and conditions carefully before you commit to purchasing the car.
* This is a private sale and no warranty is offered.
* This car has been resprayed. If you attempt to remove the stickers, you do so at your own risk.
* Any sale is final.
* The information in this listing is accurate as at the date of listing.
* No test drives.
* Please pay via PayPal within 4 days of the auction end. For security reasons we will not accept cheques or cash.
* If not paid for within 4 days we will initiate the unpaid item process - no excuses, no exceptions! This is to assist in protecting all eBay sellers from habitual non-payers.
* If still unpaid by day 8 the car will be relisted or offered to the second-highest bidder.
* After your PayPal payment has been confirmed we can arrange a specific date for you to collect the car.
* You must be able to collect the car from near Plymouth on the weekend of 4th/5th or 11th/12th August as we cannot store it off the road beyond this time.
* Before we hand over the keys and documents, we will ask you to show us photographic ID (driving licence or passport) that matches your eBay account details.